While there are many times of the year that are deemed dangerous to drive, winter tends to be near the top of the list. The reason for this is due to the brutal weather conditions. The conditions can change at the flip of the coin throughout the season. When this happens, will you be ready? The team at Mid Atlantic Insurance Financial wants to share a few simple tips with Laurel, MD residents to ensure that they and their vehicles are ready for the upcoming winter weather.
- Service your vehicle. You want to ensure that your vehicle has had an oil change, had all fluids checked, etc.
- Test your battery. You want to ensure that your battery is able to hold a solid charge. Winter can be hard on batteries, so you need a good one to start off the season. When your battery is tested, the technician can remove any corrosion that is present.
- Check the antifreeze. Whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it, the antifreeze needs to be checked and/or replaced. Without sufficient antifreeze, irreparable damage to your vehicle could occur.
- Check the hoses, belts, and spark plugs. This should be part of a vehicle’s overall inspection, but it can be helpful in preventing a car breakdown.
- Replace the wiper blades, and consider keeping a spare in your vehicle. Don’t forget to check the levels of your wiper fluid.
- Check the tire pressure. Always keep a tire gauge in your vehicle. Your owner’s manual will have a recommended tire pressure for different driving conditions. Just keep in mind that colder weather will result in tire deflation.
- Purchase snow tires. This is important, especially if you live in a rural area where roads aren’t as likely to be regularly cleared.
- Test the 4WD. You probably haven’t used the four-wheel-drive since last winter, so you want to ensure it’s working before you need it.
- Keep your tank full (or as close to it as possible). This helps to prevent frozen gas lines. Plus, if you find yourself stranded, you’ll be able to keep the vehicle running for heat until help arrives.
- Pack an emergency kit with all the necessary essentials, such as protein bars, water, flashlight, batteries, blankets, etc. You never know what will happen or when.
The most important thing for you to remember is to ensure that you have proper auto insurance in the event of an unexpected accident. Serving the Laurel, MD area, Mid Atlantic Insurance Financial can ensure you’re properly covered. Contact our team today.